Friday, June 6, 2008

My life as a ten-year-old with Asperger syndrome

Hi, my name is Charlotte Gilgallon. I am ten years old, and I have Asperger syndrome.

Throughout my life, before knowing I had Asperger's, I always knew something was different about me but I did not know what it was. I was about seven years old when I found out I had Asperger's - but I only remember going into an office and my mum talking to a lady. Afterwards I started to ask questions. My mum answered them but I did not have a clue what she was saying.

My parents found out about my Asperger's when I was six. Now I am older I can understand about it. I am having problems making friends at my school. Sometimes I can be a little hyper in school and I try too hard to make friends. It feels like they already know and are bullying me about it. They make me feel like I'm a fly and they trap me in a bottle making me feel horrible. I sometimes have a few moments when I feel like I wish I never had it. But that cannot be, so that was the part that made me upset.

I have many friends that know about it and I feel that if I told the people I know really well that do not know about it they might treat me different. I am happy to share all my feelings with whoever reads this cuz I know you will understand.

I think that it was a good thing my mum told me about my Asperger syndrome because I would always come home from school and say to my mum, 'I feel different. Other children at school are not what I am like.'

Sometimes people tell my mum 'Should you have ever told your daughter she has Asperger syndrome?' and I say 'Yes, my mum should have told me' because if she hadn't told me, then I wouldn't understand a lot of stuff. I have a very happy life. I live in a nice house, with a garden, have two good sisters and a good mum and dad.

by Charlotte Gilgallon

1 comment:

Angela said...

Charlotte,
I think that your mom is so wise for explaining to you the reason why you sometimes feel different from other people your age. It will not matter at all to people who truly care about you. This world would be a dull place if we were all the same. Be proud of your uniqueness!